A teenage boy goes blind by eating only junk food
A 17-year-old boy who lives in the United Kingdom went blind because of improper food habits. This teenager depended only on junk food to fill his stomach. The annals of Internal Medicine wrote in the study abstract that he first visited doctor at the age of 14 due to tiredness. By the time doctors found that lack of nutrition was the reason for his blindness, he was beyond recovery.
When he visited hospital at 14, tests showed that he lacked vitamin B 12 for which he was given as an injection and was sent home. Researchers at the University of Bristol in England stated that he was healthy in all aspects and was not under any medications. A year later, the boy was back with hearing problems and vision symptoms, though doctors couldn’t pinpoint the cause. Two years later when he was blind they were figured out the cause was because of B-12 deficiency, low copper and selenium levels, high Zinc levels and reduced Vitamin D. This teenager’s diet was mainly Pringles, French fries, White bread.
“Since starting secondary school, the patient had consumed a limited diet of chips, crisps, white bread, and some processed pork,” the researchers said. “By the time the patient’s condition was diagnosed, the patient had permanently impaired vision.”
Study Co-author Denize Atan, an ophthalmologist at Bristol Medical school and Bristol Eye Hospital told Newsweek that about 2 billion people around the world are subject to deficiencies in micronutrients. “Nutritional optic neuropathy (aka deficiency optic neuropathy) is a dysfunction of the optic nerve resulting from improper dietary content of certain nutrients essential for normal functioning of the nerve fibers,” says the U.S. National Institutes of Health. “Most commonly, it results from folic acid and vitamin B complex deficiency associated with malnutrition or poor dietary habits, incorrectly applied a vegetarian diet, or chronic alcohol abuse.” Cases such as this shows that it is not how much you eat but what you eat matter.